Wednesday 21 August 2013

Mega Mac & Cheese

 I made this macaroni and cheese for my family recently, and it has taken me a while to write it up but everyone's macaroni is different, for instance, when we were little, Mum used to make macaroni for Lucy and I and she would roast tomatoes on top.
I found this recipe on Kate Gowing's blog but I didn't have all the ingredients so I've chopped and changed it slightly.

500g of macaroni or any other small pasta
6 rashers of bacon, chopped
5 spring onions, chopped

For the cheese sauce:
60g butter
60g plain flour
2 tsp mustard powder
750ml milk
250g jarlsberg, grated
150g cheddar, grated 

First cook your pasta, and that's simple enough, unless you're me and never cook it, thank goodness my godmother was there to check it!
While the pasta is cooking away, cook your bacon and spring onions in a pan together, with no fat, until they're the perfect balance of crispy and meaty.
Then in another pan, start making your cheese sauce, first by melting the butter with the dry ingredients, then adding all the milk until it thickens, and then add about half of both of the grated cheeses.
Drain the pasta and mix the bacon and spring onions in.


Once the pasta and bacony bits are combined, mix in the cheese sauce, sprinkling half of the grated cheese that isn't in the sauce into the pasta.
Get a big dish. And I mean big, we've still got left overs in the fridge, I wasn't kidding when I said it was mega!
Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the dish and bake in 200 celcius/ 400F oven for about half an hour.

 



When it comes out it should be all bubbly and deliciously crispy on top.


I served this just by itself, it's not one for dieters but seriously this is the ultimate comfort food.





12 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Mac & Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. The trick for me is always to have strong enough cheese, otherwise the whole purpose is silly. I tend to go with pecorino romano or Swiss Gruyere x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to use Gruyere but I didn't have any!! Jarlsberg comes a close 2nd place to my fave though! x

      Delete
  2. mnnnm mac n cheese is such a indulgence isn't it? perfect for the winter, with all that molten cheese. Recently found a recipe that uses Quark, which could turn out great. Yours looks delicious!

    Teffy { Teffys Perks Blog }

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a snuggly recipe, and should be eaten wrapped in a blanket xxx

      Delete
  3. YUMMM!! This looks like the ultimate comfort food to me! I have to admit, I can't stand macaroni itself, but I am so adding bacon and cheese to pasta.
    Not good for the thighs, but so irresistible!
    Emily xx
    My Ginger Bread Journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so tasty! I've never actually had a proper mac and cheese so this would be an aweosme thing for me to try!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am yet to actually have mac and cheese...I've just never got round to trying it which is ridiculous because I LOVE cheese. I'll have to give this recipe a go!

    nicholawithanh.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really delicious! And that is a really cute bowl with the hearts on it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...