Monday 23 December 2013

Flesh & Buns

On Friday Mum and I hopped on the train from chilly Suffolk to an equally chilly London.
A while ago I mentioned wanting to go to the ballet, and a few weeks ago she surprised me with a festive trip to see the Nutcracker, but that was going to be after lunch, and seeing as it was already 11 o'clock and I was feeling peckish on the train we were thinking about lunch.
I sent Katie and Caroline tweets to see if they had any suggestions, which they did, but Caroline was the one who suggested Flesh & Buns, and I'm flipping glad she did!


It's not very obvious until you're right infront of the big black door which leads you down some stairs into an underground heaven.


As soon as we walked in the staff were checking with us and giving us their tips on the menu.
It was so relaxed, and this cheeky little chappie kept flailing and flapping a ribbon of cucumber about and nobody tutted and disapproved, probably because the food made everyone happy.


First we started with edamame, I have them at every opportunity, it may be boring but I love them. These were served piping hot sprinkled with salt, but in Wagamamas they can be had with chilli and garlic salt which is equally deeeelish.


My mother is a bit of a squid fiend, so when she saw that they had crispy squid she went for it, and I devoured it.



I spied some Korean Fried Wings on the menu, expecting them to be normal chicken sized… They were enormous, not the most elegant thing to eat whilst wearing a white dress, although that didn't stop me, sleeves got rolled up and the waitress sneakily slipped us a couple of wet flannels so we could sort ourselves out.



Lastly were the flesh and buns.
I can't even type down how excited I was to eat these, I spent a lot of time craning my neck to look over at the kitchen to prepare myself for their arrival.

All of the meat sounded so tasty that we went for the crispy duck leg with sour plum sauce.
Like duck and pancakes?
Now think of duck in essentially a cloud. You are welcome.


You choose your buns, we went for four, and your little babies arrive in their bamboo steamer carriage.


You load them up...


Sandwich and tuck in.


These are one of the best things I have ever eaten.
That is the best way I can put it, the bun, which is more like a flat dumpling, surrounds the duck like a fluffy cloud and when you bite into it, it is complete heaven, and I wanted to keep eating and eating them forever, but my clothes wouldn't allow it.


After lunch we staggered off to the London Coliseum, which was only a 10 minute walk away, to see the English National Ballet's performance of the Nutcracker.
But first, look at the theatre.






It was one of the best days I've had in a long time, I'm starting to feel festive now!

4 comments:

  1. Awww the photo of you and your mother is so heart warming!
    I'm not only very jealous that you went to the ballet, but Flesh and Buns too!?
    You lucky girl Lottie!
    Have an amazing Christmas too :)
    Emily xx
    My Ginger Bread Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just so so jealous you went to see the Nutcracker! I agree with Emily; the photo of you and your mum is absolutely gorgeous! Flesh and Buns looks good! I'll have to try it out!

    Have a gorgeous Christmas Lottie :)

    Lots of love,

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Double ditto with Emily and Katie!!
    So much love for this mummy n daughter day out :D
    'Like eating clouds'? Oh Lottie, you've just made my heart melt! I was worried this place would be all hype and not deliver - but you always tell things how they are and this has reassured me that I need to go try
    x x x
    The Lobster & Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to flesh and bun with my mama next week - what can I not leave without having?! XX

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...