Tuesday 13 August 2013

Breakfast Bars

Breakfast is one of my three favourite meals of the day. I actually think about what I am going to eat when I wake up as I am falling asleep in bed, sound sad?
Maybe, but I like my food.


Anyway, I need energy first thing in the morning otherwise I'll be grumpy until lunch, and I've found that oats are the only thing that really keep me feeling full, plus, my Mum says to me "Eat breakfast like a King" and who am I to disagree with that?

T

I saw this recipe on The Londoner a little while back, all the way back in January to be precise, I've been wanting to make them but I haven't been able to find a dairy free version of condensed milk.... Until now!
Scouring the Internet has its uses, and somewhere in the deepest depths I found a sweetened condensed milk recipe, which I actually prefer to the real thing!

For the whole shebang, you'll need:

2 eggs
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp. plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

350g oaty muesli (I used half oats and half this Dorset Cereals one... Tropical!)
50g goji berries
70g cranberries

Preheat your oven to 130°C / 260°F.

First combine your eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt, you'll probably want to use a whisk or a fork because things could get a little lumpy.


Then add your oaty stuff, coating all of it in the sugary mixture, then finally adding your dried fruit.



Press down into  a brownie tin, or a round one like I used and pop in the oven for about 30 to 40 mins, depending on how chewy you want them.



How easy peasy was that?
This recipe is so simple to do, plus, making it on a Sunday night means longer in bed the next morning because you can grab one of these and run!



Or, if you have more time, get up early, make some hot chocolate, grab one of these and crawl back into your cave (snuggly, warm and inviting bed).


I wouldn't just leave these for breakfast though guys, take away the words "Breakfast Bar" and replace it with "Healthy Fruity Flapjack" and you're onto an all day winner!




7 comments:

  1. MMMMM these looks really good, perfect for the healthy streak I'm currently going through!

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks so good! There are so many recipes I'd like to have a go at, this is definitely one of them. I'm one of those people who HAS to have breakfast too ahaxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breakfast is also one of my three favourite meals of the day!!
    I could happily eat breakfast 3 times a day and live happily ever after!
    x x x

    {The Lobster & Me}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, these look absolutely delicious! Me too, I always fall asleep thinking of what I will be going to eat in the morning. I love breakfasts, and I definitely eat it like a King! I love all things oaty, nutty, dried fruity. There's nothing that can beat that to get me in the mood.

    Sofie x
    http://littlegreensofie.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...