Friday 26 July 2013

Slimmed Down Lasagne

Recently I had a serious hankering for some lasagne, the only problem being that dairy features pretty heavily normally and seeing as its off the cards for me (and Ibbs, I'm looking at you too!), I was a little stuck.
The night before I was thinking like I normally do, about food and what I'll have for breakfast, and I formulated a recipe to a) use up veggies in the fridge and b) make a healthy lasagne and Bob's your Uncle, this was born!


Lots and lots of filling layers of yumminess with even look-a-like cheese on top, for half the calories, you can thank me later!

Serves 4
1 medium red onion
3 to 4 cloves of garlic (use less if you don't like it)
1 large aubergine (eggplant)
1 1/2 courgette (zucchini)
1 sweet pepper
2  medium mushrooms (I used large cup mushrooms)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
3 basil leaves
Spinach or red chard
Lasagne pasta
Bread crumbs (optional)

First chop everything into smaller pieces, making sure the onion and garlic are the most finely chopped.
Pop the onion and garlic into a large sauce pan with a tiny bit of olive oil and brown them


Then add the mushrooms and sweet pepper, aubergine and courgettes..
Then the tinned tomatoes, stir it well, tear in the basil and leave it to simmer.


While that was bubbling away I went up to the vegetable patch to find my leaves.


There were so many to choose from, and it reminded me of "The Flopsy Bunnies", but I grabbed about 10 large leaves of chard, and when I came back the ratatouille-like sauce was ready to go.


Now comes the assembly,
Dollop a small amount of the sauce at the bottom of your container, then add your pasta, then the spinach, keep repeating until you get to the top where you sprinkle on your breadcrumbs.



It's also really colourful!




Cover the container with foil and put in a 180 celcius oven for 25 mins, then take the foil off and pop it back in for another 10 mins.


Now, I got my math on and did some sums, a quarter of this lasagne (that's a hungry portion) only has 244 calories in, whereas a normal portion has calories into the five hundreds, but the majority of the calories in my lasagne are from the pasta, which is why it's slimmed down, not skinny, but I'm toying with the idea of using thinly slices courgette instead of pasta.



Plus it's super scrummy hot or cold, which is good for left overs!!!








2 comments:

  1. What a lovely colourful dish Lottie, I love how you had a rummage around and wander round the garden for your ingredients- just how life should be :)
    x x x

    {The Lobster & Me}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. This is like a vegetable mis match in heaven.
    Colourful, healthy, and yummm!
    Need to try this, BIG TIME! :)
    Emily xx
    My Ginger Bread Journey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...