Thursday 11 July 2013

Bobotjie

After growing up in South Africa, my mum has plenty of exotic recipes, but out of all of the ones she brought over, this is by far my favourite.
Bobotjie or bobotie is traditionally a South African dish, with spiced mince and an egg based topping, but over the years she's adapted it to this delicious recipe. From what I understand, most south Africans will have their own secret recipe, so each one is different, but it could be alikened to a fruity, spiced Bolognese, but better.
We normally have it with rice but I think it works best with cous cous, or even quinoa.
It's super easy, healthy and deeelish!



Serves 4:
400g lamb mince
1 onion (diced)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 vegetable stock cube
Dessert spoonful of cornflour
1 can chopped tomatoes
3/4 can of water (use tomato can)
Dessert spoonful of tomato puree
Dessert spoonful of curry powder
Approx 125g chopped apricots
75g flaked almonds

First brown your mince, then drain off the fat and put on a plate on the side.


In the pot that you browned your mince, sautee the onion and garlic, add the cornflower, stock cube, tomatoes, water, puree, curry powder, apricots, flaked almonds and finally your mince.


Bring this to the boil and pop in the oven to simmer for about 40 mins.
Serve with rice or cous cous for a hearty dinner, or by itself for a filling lunch.




The leftovers can be kept in the fridge, and they're really good microwaved in wraps with some lettuce!

4 comments:

  1. Yummmm Lottie!! This looks delicious!
    I went to South Africa a few years ago for a sports tour and stayed with families whilst I was there. Some of the traditional food they served us was incredible!
    Now a hugeeee fan of koeksisters and rusks!
    Loving the heritage!
    Emily xx
    My Ginger Bread Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so fun!
      Same, I love Ouma's buttermilk rusks, now that you've reminded me I might do an amazon order for them! xX

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! I'm feeling very hungry all of a sudden!

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh Yes please :)
    The name vaguely rings a bell from when I visited SA many moons ago! Gutted I wasn't as much of a foodie then, so I didn't take full advantage of all these delicious creations.
    x x x

    {The Lobster & Me}

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...