Thursday 13 June 2013

Skinny Stir-Fry

This is what today's lunch looked like. It was so tasty that I just had to put it on here, not only is it tasty and filling, it's also healthy and full of protein from the egg, quinoa and edamame beans.
I love oriental tasting food, and this is a sort of amalgamation of egg fried rice (with quinoa instead of rice) and a stir fry, all cooked in under seven mins, so it's super quick, super easy and it's relatively easy on the pocket, and as I type I'm eating seconds, yum!




I'd never really had quinoa before, but I've read lots on other blogs about how it's better for you than rice and pasta due to being a grain. It's perfect for using things up in your fridge, and the egg could be changed for chicken or mushrooms if you're vegan.
These are the measurements for one portion, but multiply them as you need:

1 beaten egg
1/2 sachet of pre cooked quinoa or boil up 125g of dry quinoa
A handful of chopped broccoli
A handful of stir fry veg (bean sprouts, chopped carrots, spring onion etc)
About 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
Edamame beans, as many as you like (optional)


Pour your beaten egg into a lightly greased frying pan, wait until it looks a bit like an egg pancake and then sort of scramble it up with a fork. Pop in your quinoa and vegetables, give them a stir and leave on the heat for just over a minute. Ideally you want your vegetables to have a bit of crunch left in them.


Pour in a good slosh of soy sauce, the measurement above is only a guide but it's an important addition as it adds depth and makes it taste more oriental.
Pour into a bowl or onto a plate




Then garnish with edamame beans..



 
...I'm considering thirds..

11 comments:

  1. I had broccoli florets with boiled potatoes yesterday! super yummy :)
    xo
    Anastasia
    http://natbeesfashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be making this xx

    http://lhdc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like addition of the egg for more of like a egg fried rice dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh I'm a big stir fry fan, but haven't made one in ages!! They are so useful for using up any random veg that may be chilling at the back of the fridge :)
    Also, quinoa? I'm still dubious....
    x x x

    The Lobster & Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so tasty! I know, I was doubting the quinoa but its actually really tasty! It might be an aquired thing though, they're fun to pop like fish eggs I think ;) xxx

      Delete
  5. You can't beat a stir fry to perk up the veg count! I love adding a good splash of soy sauce and sweet chilli, looks scrummy!
    Really need to try quinoa, I've never got around to trying it!
    Emily xx
    http://gingerbreadjourney.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess that it was one of the first times I had tried it, I used a merchant gourmet sachet from the supermarket and it worked a treat! Xxx

      Delete
  6. Lottie darling,

    I have now downloaded 2 of your recipes and bought frozen soya beans from Tesco's. I honestly hadn't made the connection that edamame beans were in fact Soya beans! I have also bought quinoa! Tash is going to cook your skinny stir fry one evening this week! I am going to cook your oaty breakfast, all day fruity bars and them to work for energy snacks. Will be good for Lizzie's packed lunches at school. If you have any other good ideas for an 8 year old's lunch box, which are reasonably healthy, I would be hugely grateful. Lots of love Debsxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...