Friday 1 February 2013

Chocolate Fudge Cake

It was my little sister's 16th birthday this week, and each year I take it upon myself to bake her a cake and this time I tried to bake the best chocolate cake I could.
My sister's birthday was yesterday, and the cake I made is completely gone already (it wasn't a small cake) so I've remade it, the best bit about this recipe is not that it's a delicious, fudgy, chocolate cake, it's really easy to make!




 
You will need:

8oz (225g) plain flour
3oz (85g) coco powder
12 ½ oz (350g) caster sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
2 large free-range eggs
250ml (9fl oz) milk
125ml (4½fl oz) sunflower or vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
250ml (9fl oz) boiling water

First measure your flour and coco powder,

 
I'm not a huge fan of dark chocolate, so I used half Bournville Coco Powder and half Dairy Milk Highlights but if you're a fan of dark chocolate, use all Bournville.


Add the caster sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda,




Add your oil and milk, get stirring and put the kettle on, these are used instead of butter as oil will keep the cake really moist,




Add the eggs, make sure these are thoroughly mixed in before adding your water,



Now add your boiling water,


You should be left with what looks like the runniest cake mixture in the world,


This mixture is so runny infact, that I wouldn't advise using a pringform cake tin or one with a removable base.
I made this mistake when I made L's cake, resulting in the mix flowing from the bottom of the tin.

 
I'm using a cake tin about cm wide and two small pudding tins.
 

Grease the cake tin with either butter or oil, and tap some flour around the tin so it sticks to the grease, then line with grease proof paper.


Grease and flour the smaller pots.


Then pour the mix in.
For the smaller bowls, I worked to filling them to about 3/4 full, but if you're using the whole mix for one cake, just pour it all in, the bigger the better.

 
 
Pop these in the oven at 170 celcius, the smaller pots should take about 25 mins, but the cake itself will take considerably longer, so after about 25 mins, I covered the top of the cake tin loosely in foil to stop it burning because no one likes being burnt.




Now, you can leave it there and have a plain cake, throw some buttercream on it, dollop with ice cream or drizzle in fudge sauce... Mmm...
But since I'm actually baking for a lover of cakes that are slathered in cream cheese icing, here is the icing recipe, you may not need all of it, but personally, chocolate fudge cake with cream cheese icing in the middle and on top sounds ideal to me.




6 comments:

  1. oh my word that cake looks heavenly. i'll definitely be trying this recipe soon!

    breathing-easy.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother just told me that it was the best chocolate cake she had ever had and my boyfriend ate the whole large cake in 24 hrs!
    I hope I haven't oversold it ;) let me know how it goes! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy guacamole- i'm meant to be on a diet. this made me cry (nearly) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might need to give this little beauty a go! Lent is finally over and I have a feeling this will solve my cravings!!
    Emily :) xx
    http://gingerbreadjourney.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do! Those 5 lindt bunnies need company ;) x

      Delete
  5. Brainwave- A huge wedge of this, with broken bunnies on top! (Warm of course!)
    It's genius!!
    Looking forward to more recipes like this!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...