Monday 16 September 2013

Sage & Onion Gammon

This was such a simple, easy and delicious dinner we had last week, so  tasty that I had to blog it.
The fact that it was gammon was a bit of a surprise, for several years we've kept pigs, but not as pets, this was one of them (sorry if you're vegetarian) but mum hadn't labelled the joints so it was a little bit of a lucky dip!
Luckily for us, it turned out well and we never usually have gammon, but it was delicious.


1 gammon joint- ours was quite small!
2 large sprigs of sage
1 large red onion
Seasoning

Peel and cut the red onion into 4 chunky slices, put those at the bottom of the baking pan, then, after washing them, lay the sage on top.


Score the skin of the joint with a sharp knife, and season with salt and pepper.
Put in the oven at about 200 celcius for around 45 mins, at least that's how long ours took, if you are using a larger joint you'll need to allow more time.


How simple was that?!


When you get it out the crackling should be a nice brownish red and all tasty looking.



We had ours with corn on the cob (because I can't get enough of it, I know I'm going to put myself off it but by the time the season comes back round, I'll have fallen head over heels for it again!) runner beans from the garden with one of the slices of onion that was under the joint, they go all caramelised and lovely.



Tasty, tasty, tasty!





1 comment:

  1. This meal is pretty much perfect in my eyes.
    I'm a total gammon addict, the kinda gal that will always choose in for a pub lunch - so you know the way to my heart :)
    x x

    {The Lobster & Me}

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...