Saturday 14 September 2013

Mimosa

On Thursday, Josh took me out for dinner to Mimosa.
I'd never heard of it until a couple of weeks ago when he went and had "the most amazing meal, ever!" so seeing as he was pretty keen to show me how fab this place was, I brought my camera along too.

It's on a business park in Colchester, which I think is a bit of an odd location (the business park bit) because it looks like something you'd go to in a town centre, but I suppose it is an ideal location for business meetings and whatnot! 
As you walk up to it you could be forgiven for expecting it to be small inside but as we opened the doors to the welcoming chatter it was enormous!


The decor was really cool, I stupidly didn't take any photos of it, but the wallpaper was of bookshelves so it sort of looked like we were in this giant library which had a sort of modern feel with all the industrial-like ceiling and the beautiful chandeliers.


The staff are excellent.
Me, being me, actually emailed them before we went because I'm careful about eating dairy. They were so kind as to go and ask the chef and write back with every dish that I could eat, plus ones with adjustments that could be made dairy-free.


I'm pretty sure Josh knew exactly what he wanted before we even walked through the doors.
The Mimosa steak burger.


Served with coleslaw and skinny fries, with a melty sliver of cheese, which was smothered in the most delicious red onion chutney, hidden under the bun lid.
Much to my disappointment, he didn't go for the two hands job because it was just too juicy and the restaurant didn't have any bibs.


I couldn't decide, so being a little piglet, I went for two starters, first, the calamari with haricot bean salsa.
(I would just like everyone to be really proud of me here, I'm getting into seafood in a big way and previously would never have ordered it in restaurants, here, I did, TWICE)


I love calamari (I love everything deep-fried, but that's by the by), but I think the batter to squid ratio was leaning slightly heavily towards the batter side, I won't hold it against them though, because it was delicious.
The salsa was nice, but it could have had a punchier flavour to bring out the calamari.


Starter number 2 was scallops with beef brisket in broad bean sauce.
I'm not good with cuts of meat, I can't really tell the difference, but this brisket was really nice, a little chewy sometimes but it was just so scrummy.


I've also gotten into scallops in a big way, and these were delicious, pan fried and big, deeeeelish!
Plus, I really, really dislike broad beans, but the broad been puree was out of this world.
I'd drink it.
Actually, maybe not but it still was pretty good!


The evening was so lovely, the food was excellent and it really does make a difference to the evening when the staff are so friendly and happy!

You're paying for what you get, and that's delicious food, you can book here!


8 comments:

  1. Ah you are so lucky this place looks looovely, I love it when a restaurant makes an effort with the decorxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes a place more special doesn't it? xx

      Delete
  2. Aww looks lovely Lottie, lucky lady to have an amazing boyfriend to take her out to dinner!
    Love how the burgers were 'a two hand job'! They never have any sodding bibbs!
    Emily xx
    My Ginger Bread Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm spoilt!!
      This is worth you and Ibbs coming over to Suffolk for!! xx

      Delete
  3. This looks like such a lovely evening. I'm same as you, a few years ago I wouldn't go near seafood and now igo as far as saying its my favourite food. Those scallops looks seriously yummy!
    splashofsilk.blogspot.com
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity of this restaurant and the cute plates, who says plates have to be round anyway?!
    You guys are such a cute couple
    x x

    {The Lobster & Me}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like you guys had a lovely time =) and I love the plates! Square plates are my favourite. It's a weird thing to have a favourite of, but I do.

    Teffy { Teffys Perks Blog }

    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...