Sunday 10 March 2013

Cheese Pies

 
I was given this recipe by my greek friend's mother, IK always brought these in on birthdays and other occasions and I was hooked, smooth cheese wrapped in filo pastry, almost a cheese samosa.
 

Ingredients:

2 cups milk
1/2 cups semolina (or I used polenta, similar sort of thing)
50g butter
1 beaten egg
150g feta cheese (cut up into very small pieces)
1 pack of filo pastry sheets
 

Pour your two cups (or in my case mugs) of milk into a pan and heat gently.


 Then add the half cup of polenta and keep stirring constantly so no lumps form.

 
 
As you are stirring add your butter in, I put mine in solid and continued to stir until it had melted but that is up to you.


Add your beaten egg


Keep stirring until it noticably thickens, at which point take it off the heat and add your small bits of feta.


This is where I would advise you to chop it up very small, I should have listened to Ismini's advice...
Apologies for the less than appealing photo above, the saucepan was a little smaller than I had thought, but what's cooking without mishaps?

Next take a sheet of filo and quarter it, leaving 4 rectangles of pastry.
Then dollop about half a tablespoonful of the sauce into the corner of the pastry sheet.


Brush melted butter all over the surrounding pastry and begin folding in triangles.


Keep going until you reach the end and repeat until you run out of either the pastry or sauce.
Then put on a baking tray and put in the oven until golden.
Once golden and crispy put them on some kitchen towel to soak up any grease which will help prevent them getting soggy.




These keep for about 3 or 4 days, if they last that long.
They would also be great with something like chutney on the inside of the filo...!

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of these but they look so good!!

    - Stefanía xx
    zdevania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness these look fantastic! definitely something my boyfriend would be down for ... let the hunt for polenta/semolina begin! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you get on! If you're in the UK (I couldn't tell on your blog) you can get them in Waitrose or maybe even the world foods section in Tescos! Xx

      Delete
  3. It seems delicious!so sweet....
    what are think about my blog?Take a look here https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pie-Hole/340193896063820 or here:http://s-thepiehole.blogspot.it/ and if you like it,follow it please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious, and not too difficult to tackle either, I once tried and failed miserably, so hopefully this recipe will be much better, can't wait to have a go!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMI !


    Http://Fashioneiric.blogspot.com

    Coline ♡

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...