Sunday 12 May 2013

Hoisin Duck


My favourite dishes are usually pretty easy, and after flipping through Nigella's Nigella Express I found this tasty recipe, it's super simple, we added wraps with cucumber and spring onion to this to make a real meal out of it!



You will need:
A duck


Heat your oven to 170 degrees celcius, and pop the duck in the oven, leaving it for 5 1/2 hours, or you can leave it for 4 hours and vamp up the heat to 220 for the last half hour.



I scoured the internet for a recipe to make authentic pancakes, if you have the patience of a saint go for this, if not use tortillas or get some Chinese pancakes from your local Chinese shop, but these pancakes are quite tasty with the duck.

To make about 16:
225g plain flour
175ml boiling water
2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil


Sift in your flour, and create a well in the middle of the pile the pour in the boiling water.
Now, I'd use a spoon for this because it didn't occur to me quite how hot the dough would be, you also might need a little extra water if the dough feels dry.


Knead until the dough is smooth then roll it out into a sausage about 40cm long, mine is so long because I was doing double quantities.


 Divide the sausage up into 16 and roll them into little balls.


Now take one ball and dip the end in the sesame oil, pop it on top of another ball and roll out with a rolling pin.


 
Roll them out really thinly, then put in a non stick frying pan until lightly golden.


Mum carved the duck and we served it with the usual cucumber and spring onions, and of course hoi sin sauce.





It was deeelish, I had so many that I was actually in pain, but the best thing is how easy it is, especially if you buy your own pancakes!


6 comments:

  1. Mmm this looks yummy! Duck is probably my favourite food and I adore duck pancakes!!

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm seriously impressed you made your own pancakes and everything!
    Absolutely love crispy duck!
    I'll give this a go as its my brothers favourite, thank you!
    Emily xxx
    http://gingerbreadjourney.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so easy, just pop it in the oven then you can go out for the afternoon or something! Just make sure you have wraps on hand ;)! Xxx

      Delete
  3. :O you made your own pancakes?! Serious kudos to you girl!! Me trying would turn into a dough massacre!
    Excellent carving by mummy too. Duck pancakes are such a great meal, you've got me craving them now...
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm avoiding revision Ibbs! It was, my poor boyfriend/photographer kept getting yelled at and having dough thrown at him :P have a go at it! Xxx

      Delete
  4. Mmmm those look amazing- I love Chinese pancakes. I've made tortillas before for tacos- they were so much better than store-bought.
    xx
    http://chocolateandoliveoil.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...