Monday 27 May 2013

Bank Holiday Bread

For my birthday one of my friends got me How to Avoid a Soggy Bottom by Gerard Baker which is filled with all the GBBO baking tips and secrets.

 
Not only did she give me that but she also made me an enormous cornflake tart (one of my favourites) so this morning I cut myself a hunk of tart and started flicking through.


It's divided into cake & biscuits, pastry, desserts and flavours & fillings, but it was the bread section that particularly grabbed me. We have a bread machine but I thought I'd try and make the "Simple White Loaves" all by myself.



To make 2 large loaves:

800g strong white flour
2 tsp. salt
1 sachet or 7g yeast
550 ml tepid water

Oven: 220 C

Put all of the flour in a bowl and if, like me, you are using dried yeast, mix the salt in with the flour thoroughly.



In a separate bowl mix the yeast with a little water until it forms a paste not unlike, for lack of a better description, sorry, the consistency of a face mask.



Then add this to the rest of your tepid water and pour into the bowl of flour.

 
 

After mixing all the ingredients well together, turn out the dough onto a clean surface and get kneading. Resolve any anger management issues by pummelling that dough. You'll have to knead for 10-15 minutes so not only are you making a pair of yummy loaves, you're also getting a workout.
Then pop it into a bowl, cover it in a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place until it doubles in size.


Once its doubled, give it another quick knead to make it nice and smooth, then divide into two.


Roll it with your hands to make a fat sausage and bring the long edges in to make a crease down the centre.

 
Pop it into a greased bread tin with the crease side at the bottom.


Then put it back into the warm place for another hour or until it has doubled.


Then sprinkle your loaf with flour,

 
And score a line about 1/2 deep along the centre of the loaf. 


 Bung your loaves into the oven at 220 C/425 F then after 20 minutes, turn them around so they bake evenly and reduce the temperature to 180 C/350 F and leave for another 20-25 minutes.

Test to see if they are done by turning them out and knocking on the bottom, if they sound hollow, you're done!


 The recipe says to allow them to cool, but I think that warm bread is the best bread.

 
Especially with lashings of butter...




10 comments:

  1. Yummmyyyyy! Warm bread is totes the best, lathered in jam :D
    Such a great birthday present too, she clearly knows you very well!
    I look forward to seeing lots of your creations x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so with you there Ibbs!!!
      I could probably eat a whole loaf but I'm holding myself back a little ;) xxx

      Delete
  2. Totally agree, warm bread is a MUST!! also, girl after my own heart eating tart for breakfast (I'm also totes a poet, don't I know it!) ;)

    I love GBBO, amazing viewing.

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was delicious as well ;) You make me laugh Katie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING, better than the smell of freshly made bread coming out of the oven.
    I just want to toast a big wedge of that bread and smother it in butter! DELICIOUS.
    GBBO is by a mile, my favourite show ever! Good present right there!
    Emily xx
    http://gingerbreadjourney.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very popular with Mumma, it made the whole house smell fantastic!
      I actually thought the book would be right up your street for some reason! Xxx

      Delete
  5. WOW yum yum yum!!! Did it taste amazing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazeballs, 1 loaf down, 2 to go! xx

      Delete
  6. Wow, this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...