Sunday 20 January 2013

Welsh Cakes

I'm aware that the 1st March is a long way away, making this post seem a little early for St David's Day but fed up with one of my friends tempting me with Marks and Spencer's version, I thought it was time to tackle them myself.
 


With the help of my assistants, Pip and Wisp.
Makes about 20, depending on your cutter.

You will need:
125g cold, diced butter (preferably unsalted)
250g self raising flour
75g caster sugar (and more for sprinkling)
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
100g of currants (I also added a couple of sultanas)
1 large egg
A round cutter
A cast iron frying pan



Weigh the butter, dice, and pop into the bowl.






Add the flour and rub together, as you would if you were making pastry, so that it resembles breadcrumbs.




Pour in your sugar, and add the egg.






Weigh out your currants, and for a little chew, I added a couple of sultanas.



Sprinkle in your allspice.



Mix these all together and a ball of non-sticky, soft dough should form. If, like me, it doesn't hold, add a very small amount of water.



Then put it in the fridge for at least twenty minutes to let it rest.
Then turn out onto a well floured surface and roll out so that it is at least 1/2 cm thick.






Heat your frying pan on the oven, but don't add any oil or butter, they won't stick as they already have butter in them.
 I could only get about four to a pan, avoiding any touching but it's up to you.


Turn them over when they're golden, they shouldn't take more than three minutes on each side.


To dust them with sugar, I took them straight off the heat and flipped them in a bowl with a little caster sugar.



These are great with jam and butter, but especially delicious on their own!



2 comments:

  1. Ahh, these look great! I want some!

    Lydia @ www.todaysthedayi.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look amazing, definitely have to try these some time!! you've an amazing blog, i hope you check out mine too !

    http://flylikeacg.blogspot.com , i blog beauty and lifestyle. xx :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...