Sunday 13 January 2013

Carrot Cake

Carrot cake is my mum's favourite cake and after finding the perfect recipe, I decided I'd make it for her.
The recipe itself is relatively healthy (no butter) unless you want to add the icing, this can be as low-fat as you like thanks to Philadelphia's extesive range, and I could live off this icing if I had to with no objections.

8oz (225g) self-raising flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
6oz (170g) muscavado sugar (or do what I did, part dark brown and part demerera)
4oz (115g) grated carrots
2 mashed bananas
150ml oil (I used sunflower)
2 large eggs
2oz (50g) chopped walnuts


 
 
Bung all of the dry ingredients, except the nuts, into a bowl and mix together.


 
 
Then grab your carrots...


2 and a hunk carrots
Top and tail...


 
 
...Then get grating!
 

 
 
Top and tail then get grating.
Add that to the mixture, then get the bananas, I'm using 2 and a half because mine are tiddlers.
 
 
Then mash like there's no tomorrow.
 

When they resemble baby food you can add them to the mixture.


 

Add the sunflower oil and the two eggs and mix it all together.


 
Add your walnuts, I only realised I didn't have any whilst I was making the cake, so pistacios it is!
 



Grease and line a baking tin, I'm making mine as a traybake but you could also make it into a cake, pour the batter in and put it in a 180 degrees celcius oven for 40 mins, I would check it after 30, but it depends on your oven.



Now, you could just leave it there, or, you could add cream cheese icing:

3oz (85g) butter
6oz (170g) icing sugar
8oz (225g) Philadelphia cream cheese (I used extra light)


Cream these three tasties into a bowl
 

 
 
After a heartbreaking transport from tin to rack problem and a hungry baker, there was a gap left in the cake,
 


Pile on the icing
 
I only got to it after my mother had helped herself to an enormous chunk
 
And serve yourself a large piece.


As you probably can tell from the crumbs, this is my second piece, the first didn't last long.

This comes from Mary Berry's New Aga Cookbook, but with all the ingredients I have replaced, I've put my own twist on it.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...